Are you a house owner hoping to give your home a fresh, refined look? The best option to give your home a new look is to paint the interior and exterior of your property. A new coat of paint does wonders for bringing life to a house. A painted house will also increase its worth, give it a classy appearance, and go well with your house’s general design. To give a room in your home a fresh look, painting is a popular job that many people do. However, the project price might add up quickly without you even realizing it, especially if you have to buy the paint separately. Alternatively, you can even avail of affordable painting services near you to have everything taken care of without putting in much effort.
Table of Contents
- How much does painting cost?
How much does painting cost?
The answer to this query is neither a single, obvious number nor a set of parameters. Each requirement is different; hence, everyone’s expenditure would be different. But by looking at several contributing aspects, you can get an estimate. For example, the cost to paint your home varies depending on the dimensions of your residence, the materials (paints, etc.) used, the size of the area you’ll paint (for example, just a room, the entire interior, or both the interior and exterior), whether you’re doing it yourself or hiring local, affordable painting services near you, and several other factors. Although it may not look as nice as a professional paint job, painting the interior of your home yourself might help you save on the incurred painting services cost.
Here’s how to calculate the total painting services cost by the kind of room being painted or as per the square footage of the area in order to establish interior painting charges for your specific property.
- As per Room: The type of space and the obstacles that must be painted around, such as appliances and fixtures, determine how much it will cost to paint the interior of a home. A typical-sized living room will cost between $900 and $2,000 to paint. The price to paint a kitchen usually comes to around $300 to $750, and the cost is roughly the same for a bedroom. You should budget between $150 and $300 for an average-sized bathroom.
- Based on Square Footage: The expense to paint the interior or exterior of your residence may be estimated if you know how many square feet it has because it typically ranges from $2 to $6 per square foot, along with all manpower and supplies. Painting the interior of a 1,000-square-foot residence would cost $3,500, a 2,000-square-foot home would cost $7,000, and a 3,000-square-foot house would cost $10,500, assuming a cost per square foot of $3.50. However, where you are residing would also play a role in determining the per-square footage rate for the painting job.
Once you have an estimate, you can start looking for ways to get painting services on a budget. Some tips and tricks include painting the house yourself, finding cheaper paint alternatives instead of picking the finest paints, and other simple measures.
Factors Affecting Painting Costs
Be sure to take into account these aspects that could influence the cost of painting a house because the circumstances within a home vary significantly from one house to another.
- House Size: Although it might seem obvious that a bigger house will cost more to paint, there are additional aspects of square footage to consider. Additional labour costs will be factored into your price if your property needs to be painted on more than one level to cover moving materials from floor to floor.
- Kind of Paint: There are a variety of paints you can choose from, some of which are more affordable than others. More money is spent on glossy paints than on matte or satin paints. Designer high-end paints created with natural colouring can cost as much as $100 per gallon, whereas basic paints made with synthetic colouring will cost between $20 and $30 per gallon.
- Supplies required: Other than tools like ladders and sprayers, the majority of the materials required to paint the home must be bought brand-new for each project. The estimate will also incorporate the price of paint rollers, tape, drop cloths, brushes, paints, paint pens, and other materials. Consult affordable interior painters near you if you can buy these materials separately if you think you can acquire them for less money.
- Labour Costs: Although painting businesses frequently withhold their exact hourly rate in favour of providing a project cost rather than just the labour costs, you may anticipate painters to cost between $20 and $50 per hour. In most cases, painters bill by the square footage of the wall or floor. You might need to do some research in order to find the most affordable interior painters near Columbia, MD.
Furthermore, in order to correct any dings, dents, scratches, water stains, or other damage, your painter might also suggest wall repairs. There is no better time to get these repairs done, despite the fact that it will add to the expense. The time and cost of the labour would also increase if you needed the furniture moved, which would further extend the time required. You can cut down on labour expenses by moving the furniture yourself.
How to select the right paint?
How much money it takes to paint a house could vary substantially based on the kind of paint chosen. Consult a local painting company to seek the best options for your requirements in painting services on a budget. The various types of paints include the following:
- Distemper paints: These water-based paints are reasonably priced and hence one of the more popular choices. Whitewashing is the common term used to describe the use of this paint. Although it is cheap and straightforward to use, it is not a long-lasting one. It loses its color and peels off when it gets wet, so you can’t use it as wall art. The cost of distemper paints can vary depending on the region, but these are among the cheapest paints available on the market.
- Emulsion paints: Emulsion paints can be either water- or oil-based. The quality of these paints is superb, and it dries off quickly. Emulsion paint is incredibly durable and can be cleaned to a certain degree with a wet towel dipped in the soapy solution. The anti-fungal qualities of several of these paints are also present. They can be divided into acrylic and plastic emulsion paints. The price of emulsion paint varies depending on the desired finish, which might be glossy, matte, or another type.
- Enamel Paints: Due to their durability, ease of cleaning, and ability to produce a variety of glossy finishes, enamel paint is used on surfaces where heavy traffic is anticipated. On metal and wooden surfaces, they are typically used because they are also water-resistant and stain-resistant.
- Texture Paint Colors: On accent or show walls, texture paint is primarily used. In order to apply them and give the surface a three-dimensional texture, special equipment is needed, such as knives, brushes, rollers, and trowels. The majorities of texture paints has a tactile sense and are thick. The cost of it is likewise the highest.
What is the cheapest way to paint?
Now, coming down to the best ways in which you can get the paint job done in the cheapest way, there are numerous things that can be done. As important as it is to find ways to save money, it is also essential to know where not to compromise. Cutting corners can help you save money, but the final product might be different from what you were hoping for. Make sure to complete all procedures, such as applying a primer if necessary, and be sure to select the best paint for the job. Additionally, avoid choosing inexpensive materials only to save a few bucks. Instead, here is how you can save money:
- Borrow some supplies instead of buying: Purchasing tarps, brushes, rollers, sponges, and other supplies can add up real quick. Ask your friends and neighbors if you can use their paint supplies instead of running out to buy new stuff. You could also purchase a whole kit from an internet retailer to save money by buying everything at once rather than separately. If you employ a contractor offering cheap painting services near you, ask them to bring the supplies along and try negotiating the price.
- Calculate the room size: In order to save money on supplies and paint that you can’t return, measure your rooms accurately before you start. In order to get the room’s length from ground to ceiling, add the lengths of all the walls in the space. The room’s square footage can be calculated using this quantity.
Each window of average size should be deducted 15 square feet, and each door should be deducted 20 square feet. The square footage that needs painting is the final figure. The length of the ceiling should be measured if you plan to paint it. To figure out how many square feet and how much ceiling paint you’ll need, separate from the amount for the walls and multiply this number by the breadth of the ceiling. To account for any errors in your calculations or probable issues, add 10%. By doing this, you can ensure that you have enough paint to accomplish the job.
- Analyze whether you require primer: Primer adds to your overall expenses, but you might not require it. If you’re painting over an existing finish of a similar type that is clear, dry, dull, and in good condition, you can skip this step. It’s not required to spend extra money on a primer because the majority of self-priming paints perform satisfactorily enough. But if you’re painting over a dark hue with a light shade or if the surfaces are very rough, a cheap primer might help you avoid needing to apply several layers of (expensive) paint. The use of primer is advised when you need to encourage adhesion, block stains, fill porous surfaces like concrete blocks, prevent alkali and efflorescence, or give resistance to corrosion.
- Accent Walls: Instead of painting the whole room in one colour, paint just one wall in a different colour and make it an accent wall. Take a dark or bright colour for this wall, and paint the other three in a light shade (primarily creams and whites and other very subtle hues are chosen for the three walls). There are innumerable options to suit everyone’s choice, so you will definitely find something that matches your vibe. You can even use textured paint on the accent wall to make it even more special. This wall will be the highlight of the room, so this is where you can add you’re good decor or against which you can set your sofa/ bed/ television, whatever you wish.
- Purchase the Correct Paint for the Space: Purchasing the appropriate paint is one of the most crucial steps you should take before beginning your project. Although flat and matte surfaces are less expensive, they are more challenging to maintain than satin or eggshell coatings. Think about how your lifestyle will affect how the space is used. A restroom needs more resilient paint than a high-traffic space where kids and dogs will spend a lot of time. Compared to wall paint, ceiling paint is thicker and adheres to surfaces with less drippage. Some paints are removable and more long-lasting than others. Certain paints can aid in sanitization or odour reduction, while others are made to seamlessly cover an interior with deep hues and particular types of sheens.
Using these simple tips, anyone can quickly get their home painted within their budget. The main thing to do is to make realistic estimations based on proper measurements. If you choose to do it yourself, make sure that you really know what you are doing, or you may end up with unattractive end results or causing mistakes which end up making you spend more in getting them fixed. Be careful and budget for the various elements in the painting, and remember to enjoy the process.
If you are looking for a reliable and affordable painting contractor near Baltimore, MD turn to Harold Howard’s Painting Service. Our team of painters is highly trained and experienced in painting any room or building. We are offering exterior and interior painting services for Homes and commercial properties with free estimates for all customers.